Friday, August 5, 2011

Sometimes I Slip

As the Juan Williams scandal made clear, even the most staunch liberals sometimes have bad thoughts. And, despite all my best intentions, sometimes I fall into pre or anti-feminist traps:

Sometimes, I wish my daughter would care more about her appearance.

Sometimes, I wish my son were more of a jock, or even vaguely interested in sports.

Sometimes, I want my daughter to have a crush on a boy, or Johnny Depp.

Sometimes, I wish I were a stay at home mom.

Sometimes, I want to tell my son that he is being a "pussy," or to "man up."

Sometimes, I hope my kids will be popular.

Sometimes, I wish my daughter would wear a dress.

Sometimes, I want to purge all my son's less masculine toys.

Sometimes, I want my daughter to like anime and superheroes less and read Little Women or Heidi.

Most of the time, I love them exactly as they are and hope the world loves them as much as they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment